EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY - Your Hand in Mine (w/ Strings)

Thursday, January 10, 2008

WGA Nominations 2007

Ya, I'm quite late on this, but I had a fairly busy day. My last day back at home, I was out and about saying my tearful goodbyes. I will be heading back to Austin tomorrow.

Here are the WGA Nominations for Original and Adapted Screenplays... of '07. uh huh.

ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
JUNO - Diablo Cody
Michael Clayton - Tony Gilroy
The Savages - Tamara Jenkins
Knocked Up - Judd Apatow
Lars and the Real Girl - Nancy Oliver

Ok. So I was right in predicting that the three female screenwriters would each get a nomination. yay for me. But I failed to see Judd Apatow making an appearance on the list. I had always thought it would get some sort of recognition somewhere in this year's screenplay race but it wasn't appearing anywhere so I pretty much lost hope for it. Major resurgence here though. Instead, I guess Brad Bird for Ratatouille. I just found out though that Animated Film Screenwriters don't belong in the guild. Is that correct? How bizarre. I also heard that that is also one more reason why they're striking. To get the animation writers in. Yes? No?

ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN - Joel & Ethan Coen
There Will Be Blood - Paul Thomas Anderson
The Diving Bell and the Butterfly - Ronald Harwood
Into the Wild - Sean Penn
Zodiac - James Vanderbilt

OUCH for Atonement. Seriously. Is this a game? It seems kinda cruel to me. Kind of like Monkey in the Middle where you pass the ball to each player... except for that one that gets left out. In this silly game of nominating films, the Monkey is Atonement. It has been ignored by the Screen Actors Guild, the Directors Guild, and now the Writers Guild. WOW. If it doesn't get a Producers Guild nomination, then it's out, out, out. It loses. It will probably only get the predicted technicals such as Costume Design, Art Direction, and Score. I'm still not counting it out yet, though. BUT Zodiac has gained a major boost in this race. Mmhmm.

Lastly, I want to point out that 6/10 nominees here are writer-directors.

No comments: