EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY - Your Hand in Mine (w/ Strings)

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Weeds, Season 3

So, since I've moved out to college, I haven't been able to watch Weeds (no Showtime!), which is completely upsetting to me to say the least. Weeds is, after all, my favorite television show of all time. Mind you, I don't watch Television that much, so I haven't got much say for other past and present television shows. But I do know my Weeds. And I do know my Mary Louise Parker. And I do know that this is one zany comedy that I can't help falling in love with over and over again.

So now that I'm home for spring break (I'm actually leaving again tomorrow at noon), I was browsing through my parents' on-demand service and I came upon Showtime and Weeds and realized that I hadn't finished the 3rd season! To my horror, I remembered that I only saw the first episode before stopping and then never got around to watching it before moving off to college.

So I made it a point to watch the entire 15-episode season before I left. Well, I am pleased to announce that I have finished it this afternoon and I am very pleased with what I saw.

Let's just go over some of my thoughts. I'm not sure if I'm able to talk about everything that's happened, but I just want to comment over some of the goings-on:

[POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!!!]
  • U-Turn. Haha. Oh my god. I really liked U-Turn, as ridiculous as that sounds. His thuggish-gangsta attitude and his influence on Nancy? Pretty brilliant. We know it isn't an ephemeral influence either, seeing as how she got that traffic sign tattoo and all. "The boat wouldn't fit." Hilarious.
  • Mary-Kate Olsen? I'm pretty indifferent about her. I just hope she's not on the show for long at all. I don't know what it is about her that makes me feel uneasy. Maybe it's the fact that I watched her as a little baby on Full House and now she plays this pot-smoking crazy religously-driven insane fundamentalism weirdo? I don't know what it is, but that could be one of the reasons why she gives me the heeby-jeebies. It could also be because she's rail thin and she's grinding up on Silas, who is totally cute in the show, but kinda weird looking in real life. Whatever, no, no. Hunter Parrish is definitely cute and Mary-Kate doesn't ... deserve to do that to him! haha. Jealous me.

  • I was a little frightened when Shane Botwin seemingly breaks the fourth wall. It seemed out of place because it is the first time the director employed this technique, I believe. But then we just realize what Shane is really talking to. I don't want to give away too many spoilers in case some people haven't seen it yet. The whole scene/episode/breaking the fourth wall business just further reinforces Shane's psychological development and his grievings/longings towards his deceased father. The scene disorients the viewers and lets you see into those big, weird bug eyes a true sadness and craziness. Very startling, indeed.
  • Doug is as stupid as ever, yet still retains his own charm. Isabelle appears every now and then, becomes better friends with Shane, and embraces her total lesbian. Dean is Dean. Silas becomes part of the family business and is getting pretty manly himself, if I do say so myself. Andy, Heylia, Vaneeta, Conrad, all the other lovable people from previous seasons are all there, still contributing their varying personalities to the show, adding humor in their own special way.
  • HAHA. SANJAY... is a revelation. I'm not gonna say anything about him, but his turn is quality.
  • I hate, hate, hate Celia's character throughout most of the season. She's the same old conniving bitch that she's always been and she screws up everything she touches. She also screws pretty much everything she touches. haha. But at least, we see why, in Season 3. It's obvious that she's so completely insecure about herself, her image, and her likeability factor that she presents herself in a way that gives people a justifiable reason to think she's an ugly person. But we finally see her in this vulnerable state and I'm glad the show gives her a more human side to balance the ugly. Also, the way her character completely shifts in the last couple of episodes is fantastic. She becomes this sort of puppy dog type who just wants in. Finally, she's allowing herself to be a part of a group... even if she's still worried about being accepted in or not, to the point of pleaing and begging to make certain she really is included. Bitch or not and as much as I hate(/d) her character, I have always given mad props to Elizabeth Perkins for being one of the funniest/best players in the show (second to Parker's Nancy Botwin, of course).
  • I cannot wait to find out where the Fourth Season is heading. What direction does the wind blow for this messed up, lovable family? With at least 13 more episodes planned and in production, who knows what crazy shenanigans will go down? I'm so nervous about the whole thing. No more Agrestic because it becomes Majestic. And what will happen to the over-religious zealots of Majestic after the extraordinary events that occur within the last two episodes of the third season? Hmm...

I'm not sure if I can continue commenting. I just have too much to say and it's really quite hard to put all these thoughts down into my blog from my jumbled head. Right now, I've got a lot of visuals, a lot of laughs, a lot of quaint memories of the show in my head that I'm mulling over, pondering about, and smiling at. Gah, I really wish I could watch the First and Second seasons all over again. I just need to go back in time to remember the simpler days. I mean, we did have Kat and Abumchuck, who for some bizarre reason, I miss so dearly. Zooey Deschanel is the shiz. Anyways, that's all for that. I really doubt a lot of the stuff I typed out made much sense at all. If it didn't, I apologize. My head thinks far faster than my fingers could ever type.

WEEDS. If you haven't been watching it, then DO watch it. It's one great comedy, I'm not going to lie. I once wrote about it for one of my high school German papers. Haha. I didn't get in trouble or anything for talking about a television show that's all about drugs, which is great. What's also great is that my paper sparked an interest in my German teacher and now he really enjoys the show. I feel absolutely fantastic about that fact. I feel like I've done my job. And by blogging about it even more, I'm pretty much at the top of the Weeds fan ladder.

To end my blog entry, I'm posting a short video from YouTube. In this video, Nancy Botwin loses her mind and her grasp on life, strips in front of her children, jumps into her pools, and screams at the top of her lungs. Absolute brilliance and absolutely terrifying.


No comments: