EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY - Your Hand in Mine (w/ Strings)

Monday, February 18, 2008

The Voice of the Sparrow: Listening to Edith Piaf

I'm currently listening to a couple Edith Piaf CDs... because I think it's important, when about to watch a biopic, to know a little about the real life subject. What better way to learn a little about Edith Piaf than to listen to some recordings of her? I managed to obtain a copy of "The Very Best of Edith Piaf: The Voice of the Sparrow" and "La Vie en Rose." I love her; I don't understand what she's saying, but her voice and music transcends language and manages to stir inside me this sympathy and admiration for her, stimulated mostly by a tinge of tragedy in her strong voice. I'm watching La Vie en Rose tomorrow and I cannot wait. I want to see just how well Marion Cotillard captures the essence of Piaf and we will see if my Best Actress preference changes after seeing it. Currently, my preference is Ellen Page and my prediction is Julie Christie (what a confusing category, though, to say the least!).

Ahh... I didn't manage to see The Golden Age or the Savages, unfortunately. Nor did I see all 5 of the Best Supporting Actress race. They're hardly ever in Best Picture nominees, it seems so they're less accessible in terms of theaters playing them.
Gotta get back to Edith Piaf. Her voice is just so mesmerizing. When I get time, I will translate the lyrics (or get a friend to). As of now, the music, the tone of her voice, the expression -- these aspects of the legendary French singer have managed to capture my attention. I will write about Marion Cotillard tomorrow. And possibly Amy Ryan -- I'm probably watch Gone Baby Gone tonight or something.

No comments: