EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY - Your Hand in Mine (w/ Strings)

Monday, March 3, 2008

Magical Movie Moments: On the Waterfront

So I think I'm going to start a little themed day so that I will have something to post at least once a week. Hopefully I can keep this up. I call it Magical Movie Moments Mondays, which is kind of a long name, but I can deal. For short, I'm thinking about going with 4M, M4 or MMMM. I'm not sure which to go with right now. Maybe I'll condense the name down a little. I think I'm just going to go with Magical Movie Moments. The Monday aspect of the title will be implied. Without further ado, let's begin. To kick off this thing, I present the first Magical Movie Moment...



ON THE WATERFRONT (1954)
dir. Elia Kazan

Players:
Marlon Brando as Terry Malloy
Eva Marie Saint as Edie Doyle

Scene:

Eva Marie Saint, accidentally drops her glove while walking with Marlon Brando towards a swing set. Brando, the method acting pro that he is, quickly and naturally reacts, and the scene continues as planned. This improvisation is truly magical as the two continue to talk while the glove provides an amusing visual that helps to convey the coyness of Saint's character, Edie Doyle, and the growing emotions that each begins to feel for the other.

Terry: "Are you training to be a nun? -- Wait a second."
Edie: "It's just a regular college. It's run by the sisters of St. Anne."
Terry: Where is that?
Edie: In Tarrytown.


Brando picks up Saint's glove, but doesn't immediately return it to her. Instead, he proceeds to wipe it off, removing the dirt and grass that may have stuck to the fingers. Eva Marie Saint then continues walking until they reach the swingset and it is at this time do they stop walking. Though they sit/stand here for a moment, their small talk doesn't end and we continue to listen to Terry asking about Edie Doyle's life and then, her responses and stories. At this point, Brando has cleaned off the glove and begins to play with it, eventually putting it on his own hand... absolutely adorable.

Terry: So, how often do you get in here?
Edie: I haven't been here since last Christmas. We were going to have a Thanksgiving party.
Terry: That's nice -- What do you do up there? Just study?
Edie: I want to be a teacher.

They continue to walk towards the direction of Edie's house, coming up with more small talk and getting to know each other just a little bit better. Terry (notice the glove on his left hand) brings up knowing Edie when they were younger and, with a huge boost of typical Brando charm (or maybe it's just Malloy's not knowing how to talk to a lady?), attempts to explain with some crazy hand motions the style of her hair back then.

Terry: You know, I've seen you a lot of times before. Remember parochial school on Pulaski Street? Seven, eight years ago? Your hair, you had your hair uh...
Edie: In braids.
Terry: Looked like a hunk of rope. And you had wires on your teeth and glasses, everything. I mean, you was really a mess.


And they continue the conversation, with Doyle jokingly expressing her wishes for Malloy to leave. Obviously, that doesn't happen and they continue to walk further together. What is fascinating though is the way in which Saint effortlessly pulls her glove off Brando's hand. This entire scene just seemed completely choreographed and so perfectly executed -- that's why it's fascinating that the whole glove thing was improvised by the two lead characters.

Edie: I can get home alright now, thanks.
Terry: Now listen. Don't get sore. I was just kiddin' ya a little bit. I just needed to tell ya a joke. You grew up very nice.

Edie: Thanks.

Those are mostly just huge chunks of the scene so you need to watch it for its full effect. It really is one of the most magical moments of the entire movie. The obvious other one is Brando's "I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender" speech. This is definitely up there as well.

Certainly, a classic. One of my favorites! Marlon Brando gives one of the best performances in film history and Eva Marie Saint gives an almost equally great debut.

No comments: